Tonight I think I created my family’s new favorite recipe!! Usually, I try to make simple, cheap and healthy meals. Well, tonight’s dinner wasn’t easy or healthy BUT it was cheap and incredibly yummy!!
At about 2 pm today I realized I had no plan for dinner!! So what do I do? Ask Facebook for help of course! I posted that I needed a dinner idea involving chicken thighs, bacon, and cheese. Well, a friend posted an awesome picture of some sort of cheesy bacon chicken amazingness from Pinterest. I almost never follow recipes so I didn’t actually view how to make what was in the picture…however I did come up with my own cheesy bacon chicken amazingness which is now what I’m calling this recipe.
Note- As will all my “recipes” they are really more of a plan. I never measure ingredients and I never time things exact. Sorry! It’s how I cook!
Cheesy Bacon Chicken Amazingness:
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 1 onion diced
- Diced Potatoes- I used 5 small potatoes
- Chicken thighs – 1 per person
- Frozen veggies (enough for 1 serving per person)- I used a blend of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots
- 1 handful cheddar cheese
- 1 handful mozzarella cheese
- garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cook about a 1/2 lb bacon. Our favorite method for cooking bacon is to place it on a jelly roll pan (a baking dish with sides) and bake at 350 until brown and crispy (about 15 minutes). Let bacon drain on a paper towel for later. Reserve about 1 tbs of bacon grease.
- Brown onion and potatoes in a cast iron skillet in the 1 tbs reserved bacon grease. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Brown chicken thighs in the skillet on both sides. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder.
- Add frozen veggies to skillet around the chicken.
- Place skillet in oven for about 45 minutes. Bake until chicken is crispy on top and the veggies are soft.
- Remove skillet from oven and top with the onions, potatoes, cheese, and bacon.
- Set oven to Broil and cook until cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Enjoy your cheesy bacon chicken amazingness!!
Notes: You can cook the bacon, onion, and potatoes ahead of time to cut down on cooking time before dinner.
Variations: This would also be super yummy if you swapped out diced potatoes with tater tots or french fries!