Doing something different this week! Along with my weekly menu, I’m including a little more about how the meals I choose help keep my family within in our $65 / week grocery budget.
This past weekend I cooked at 17 lb turkey so we are eating a lot of turkey this week 🙂 Hopefully this will give you ideas of how to stretch a large turkey, or roast chicken into several meals!
My menu this week:
- Monday: Turkey BLT’s with apples and homemade chips It’s ballet night so all of this will be prepared earlier in the day.
- Tuesday: Turkey taco salads- shredded turkey, tortilla chips, lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese, salsa, salad dressing
- Wednesday: Turkey fettuccine Alfredo with mushrooms, served with salad and garlic bread.
- Thursday: Grilled cheese and tomato soup
- Friday: Pizza and Salad
- Saturday: Turkey noodle soup served with cheese crackers (Triscuit crackers with cheddar cheese toasted in the the toaster oven) Note- after this meal the leftover turkey will be frozen b/c I’m sure we’ll be sick of it 🙂
The items below are what I need to complete the meals. All the other ingredients I already have on hand. Next to each item is the estimated cost.
- Lettuce (enough for sandwiches and salads for 3 meals) $2
- Tomatos $2
- Tortilla chips $2
- Sour cream $1
- mushrooms $2
- Triscuits $2
Estimated Total for 6 dinners for my family of 5: $11
Meal Planning Tip:
Use as many items from your pantry as you can. Plan your meals around what you HAVE. This week I knew I had turkey, bacon, bread, noodles, alfredo sauce, potatoes, cheese and pizza. All of these items I stocked up when they were on sale. If you get in the habit of filling your pantry with sale items, your grocery bill will start to decrease significantly!